My Perspective of Magic

My Perspective of Magic

Walk into any library and find section 793.8—the home of the Art of Magic.

Growing up on Guam, I discovered that section at the age of ten. It became my gateway to mystery, wonder, and possibility. With every secret I uncovered, my fascination with magic grew deeper.

As a natural introvert, magic gave me unexpected confidence. During high school, while completing four years of Air Force and Army JROTC, I was fortunate to learn from mentors who shaped both my craft and character: Lord Jim, Ken Rush, and the magicians of I.B.M. Ring 50 in Washington, D.C. I also found inspiration at Barry’s Magic Shop and Al’s Magic Shop.

After high school, I trained under Master Illusionist Rick Thomas and received guidance from Anthony Reed and Hank Rice—Guam’s true professional magicians. For more than five years, I immersed myself in the art, performing seven days a week at birthday parties, corporate events, and aboard the Stars and Stripes dinner cruise.

Those years helped support my young family and forged my identity as a magician. But balancing fatherhood, a small business, and life as a full-time performer was not easy. I also felt a deeper calling to serve my country. During this time, my magic began evolving into something darker, quieter, and more intimate.

At 23, inspired by my father’s example, I enlisted in the U.S. Army as an Airborne Infantryman shortly before September 11, 2001. My mother survived the attack on the Pentagon, and I later deployed on multiple combat missions to Afghanistan, Africa, and Iraq.

Through it all, magic remained my refuge—a quiet light in the darkest moments. Impromptu performances lifted spirits, created connections, and reminded soldiers and civilians of our shared humanity.

After two decades of military service, I understand that passion is what carries us through life’s hardest trials. When I love something, I love it deeply—and that passion has always been magic.

Looking back, I can simply say that my magic was forged in the darkness of war. Today, it is presented in its simplest, darkest, and most personal form:

~ ILLEMESH ~

Sincerely,
JTB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Secrecy